On 25.01.2020, at the military training area in Drawsko Pomorskie, we conducted the first test flight of PERUN rocket demonstrator.
PERUN is a single-stage guided suborbital launch vehicle powered by a hybrid rocket engine and designed to provide high performance at a very low cost of operation. For this test, the 11.5m long launch vehicle with a 0.45m diameter was powered by an SF200 hybrid engine with a total impulse of 200kNs.
The main goals of the test in Drawsko Pomorskie:
- checking the new mobile rocket launcher
- performing the start procedure including rocket launch
- maintaining communication with the rocket and obtaining data from the rocket in real-time using RASEL– a fully autonomous tracking and data transmission system for flying vehicles
- rocket aerodynamics test during supersonic flight – the second milestone of the Suborbital Inexpensive Rocket project
- test of the head-body separation system during the flight
- deploying parachutes at a certain height and landing the rocket
- recover the rocket and transport it to the company’s headquarters
PERUN launched at 16:48, reached 1 Ma velocity, and an altitude of 9.750 m. All goals have been achieved!